I Can't Afford Therapy. What Should I Do?
Whether you absolutely need therapy, or simply desire the benefits that everyone can receive from therapy, don’t let finances become a barrier to your personal growth because there are always options.
So what should you do? Great question!
Let’s take a closer look at your options:
1. Got health insurance? - Contact your provider to find out what options are available to you through your coverage and to find a professional in your network. You may be surprised to learn that your therapy sessions are actually covered through your health insurance. We personally accept most insurance plans here at Cultivating Change Counseling Services LLC in Tolland Connecticut.
2. Take advantage of sliding fee services - Many professionals, including us, offer a sliding fee scale for those looking for an affordable out-of-pocket fee. All you need to do is ask!
3. Hotlines & Help Groups - There are many free and/or low cost support options from hotlines to help groups. You can find some of those services by visiting our Meetings & Support Groups page here or by visiting The National Alliance on Mental Illness here.
4. Visit your campus health center - If you’re a student you can visit your campus health center for additional resources and help.
5. Google, Google & Google some more! - There’s a ton of resources on the internet. A simple Google search can help you find exactly what you’re looking for with a little effort. For instance, I found a fantastic guide from Greatist on 81 Awesome Mental Health Resources For When You Can’t Afford A Therapist. Click here to take a peek!
There you have it, 5 great options for when you can’t afford therapy.
I sure hope you found these tips helpful and put them to good use. Or at least pass them along to someone who could benefit from our advice.
FYI - If it's an emergency in which you or someone you know is suicidal, you should immediately call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, call 911 or go to a hospital emergency room.
LIVE IN THE TOLLAND CONNECTICUT AREA? Simply click the button below to schedule a free consultation with us and see how we can best HELP you.
Together, we will begin the process of healing, growing and cultivating positive change in your life!